Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Like They have it Hard

Let me start by saying, I'm grateful that my coworkers thus far are in the dark as to the fact that this blog exists. Why? Not because I'm terrified of the pointing and laughter (Ok, that too), but because I fear that the title of this blog could spark some very inappropriate comments. That being said, I trust that everyone reading this is mature enough to stifle their laughter.

So I’m standing at the register of my friendly neighborhood EZ Mart purchasing some very unneeded delights, when a police officer walks in and heads straight to the men’s room. The cashier, complete with mullet, looks/glares at him and asks, “How’s it going?” The officer, unfriendly as he may have seemed, let out a partial sigh and said, “Oh, another 12 hour day.” After the cop was out of sight, the cashier looked back in his direction and then at me and scoffed, “Yeah, like he has it hard, riding around in an air-conditioned car all day.” Let me get this straight. He doesn’t have it hard, but you do? Last time I checked the EZ Mart was air-conditioned, semi-clean, and comes complete with gadgets of all sorts to pass the time. It’s not quite the dire conditions of a rice field that some people are grateful enough to work in. Or what about the guy who has to stand out on the road with a sign that says “Construction Next 10 Miles.” Have you ever thought about that guy? I know you’ve seen them before. I usually see them when I’m on the tail end of a road trip and seem to be in the middle of nowhere. Man, think about that. Having nothing to do for 8 hours, but making sure that you’re holding up a sign? Geez, talk about having it rough.

But back to the point of this blog. Yes, I know that there are “bad” cops. We’ve all seen the cinematic brilliancy of Training Day (and for those of you who think that I’m being serious with the term brilliancy will eventually get to know me better). But to make a comment like, “Yeah, like he has it hard” just seems so completely unfair to me. These men work crazy shifts, deal with crazy people, and are expected to come save your behind at the drop of a dime, yet, you’re going to throw attitude because he’s not thrilled about the thought of another 12 hour work day?

I don’t work 12 hours a day. The bank couldn’t afford me for that long. Ok, yes they could, but neither I, nor them would want me there for that long. Why? Because it makes for an insanely long work day and few people on God’s green Earth would want to do it. All I’m saying is that yes, working at a the EZ Mart may not be the most glamorous job, but it doesn’t necessarily give you a free pass to harass the local law enforcement – only a night of heavy drinking or an undeserved speeding tickets gives you that right.

No comments: