Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Know a Thing or Two About Duck Tape

I walk into Hobby Lobby, not really knowing what it is that I’m looking for. My Halloween costume needs some altering and I once heard of a fantastic invention, a tape of sorts, that allows you to adhere clothing straight to your skin. I thought this sounded much better than the alternative, which consisted of a hot glue gun and a considerable amount of pain, so I struck off on my mission. I aimlessly walk around the store until I stumble across an aisle that has tape smack dab on the end. How convenient! I begin looking. Scotch tape? No. Gift wrap tape? Funny, but no. Ah….Double Sided tape. There’s the answer, but as I start walking around, clutching my new find, I begin having second thoughts. Is this truly safe? Sure, its yellow packaging looks friendly enough, but will it feel so friendly after I peel it off of my chest? I find a surely well educated Hobby Lobby employee and proceed to begin my interrogation. “I’m looking for something that’s referred to as fabric tape.” A blank stare in return. I continue, “Basically, I need to tape a piece of clothing to my body. Have any ideas?” She hesitates. “You would probably need to use something heavier. Try Masking Tape or Duck Tape. One of those would work.” I try to hide the look that I know is creeping all over my face. “Thanks that’s a really good idea.” I turn and walk away.

I may not be a freaking Martha Stewart, but I sure as heck know better than to stick a piece of duck tape on my body.

By the way, it’s called “Fashion Tape” and you can find it at your friendly neighborhood fabric store.

No comments: